The airline ticket is nominal and non-transferable, so it can be used only by the person on whose behalf it was issued. Basically, a name change is not allowed by the airline. That is why when you are entering the personal details, you should crosscheck them. Although, some airlines allow correcting the name, some other allow you to travel up to three mistakes in your name without mailing ani correction (not valid for travels to USA, Australia, and Asia). For these destinations also, will be a problem to travel if you have reversed name or wrong gender.
First of all, let’s see what is a name change and what is a name correction?
– a name change is when you change the name entirely like passenger change (substitute the passenger). In most of the cases passenger change is not allowed by the airline and for more details, you can check here the policy for each airline.
– name correction is when the passenger’s name contains a typo and needs to be corrected, to ensure that the passenger’s name on the ticket matches his/her passport and most of the airlines apply a penalty for a name correction. In which cases the name correction is allowed?
• correction of the first/last name up to three characters; the typo should be minor and should not change the entire meaning of the name (like Anderson to Dnederson): Anderson – Anderesen – Andorson – Andersn; Michael – Mychael – Mike
• adding a second last/middle name: Andersen – Anderson Smith; Michael – Michael David
• reversed name
• duplicated name: Andersen Andersen – Andersen Michael; David David – Thompson David
• wrong gender
• change after marriage, divorce, adoption or other reason
You should keep in mind that not all airlines allow name correction and for more information, you can check here. In such cases the following action will be taken:
– you will be allowed to travel up to three spelling mistakes in your name without making any name correction (not valid for USA, Australia, and Asia). In such cases, the airline/travel agent will insert only a remark with the correct spelling of your name or update your passport details in the booking
– you may have to cancel the ticket (with the applicable cancellation charges) and a new ticket should be purchased on the correct name, according to the current flight availability. Keep in mind that some fares are non-refundable.
Many times, when we make errors in names we blame the airline or system that we have used for booking. Please remember that the ticket is issued according to the data entered by you and you are responsible for the accuracy of the entered data while booking online. None is changing by itself the ticket data. If you are not sure how to enter the name correctly you can contact the point of the ticket sale. Always verify and ensure the correctness of your name details before completing the booking.
If you noticed a name mistake in your ticket, you should contact immediately your point of the ticket sale and they will find for you the best option. If you need additional advises you can contact me directly by e-mail [email protected] or by contact form.
If you find this post useful and interesting, please write in comments or share it with your friends.